The family of the late city businessman Dr Muhammad Buwule Kasasa has rejected claims by retired Chief Justice Owiny Dollo that he successfully mediated a settlement between them and the family of the late Kabaka of Buganda, Sir Edward Walugembe Mutesa II, over the disputed Mutungo Hill land.
Dr Nulu Nakabonge Kasasa, a daughter of the late businessman and a beneficiary of his estate, described Justice Dollo’s statements as misleading and fraudulent, insisting that no such agreement was ever sanctioned by the beneficiaries of her father’s estate.
Justice Dollo made the claims on Monday during his official handover ceremony, where he retired after attaining the mandatory age of 70 and passed on office to the Acting Chief Justice and Deputy Chief Justice, Dr Flavian Zeija. During the event, Dollo narrated how he cancelled official travel abroad to return to Kampala and finalise mediation efforts over the decades-old land dispute.
According to Dollo, the matter had dragged through the courts for years without resolution, prompting him to spearhead mediation talks that resulted in both families agreeing to settle the dispute out of court.
However, in an exclusive telephone interview, Dr Nakabonge dismissed the account, saying neither she nor other beneficiaries were informed of any agreement.
“I am a daughter of Dr Kasasa and a beneficiary of his estate. Together with other beneficiaries, we were never informed about the deal the Chief Justice is talking about. We even asked him to recuse himself from our father’s matter,” she said.
She added that she was shocked to hear Justice Dollo “boasting about solving issues that had already been concluded by our father through the courts of law.”
Nakabonge said she is consulting other beneficiaries, lawyers, and advisers on how to protect the estate, warning that fraudsters are attempting to exploit impunity to grab its assets. She cited the Kasasa family hotel building at Mengo, which she alleges is being forcibly accessed by businessman Moses Kalungi. Kalungi declined to comment, saying he was unaware of the matter.
She further stated that during the last meeting between some family members and Justice Dollo, it was agreed that mediation would be halted and the matter returned to court. This followed protests at Dollo’s Nakasero residence over the involvement of the Mutesa family.
Documents seen by this website indicate that a proposed 50–50 settlement agreement was due to be signed on October 13, 2025, with Justice Dollo as chief mediator and representatives from both families present.
In a protest letter written in October 2025, members of the Kasasa family objected to Dollo’s role as mediator, citing his historical ties to the judiciary and the Buganda Kingdom, which they argued created an appearance of bias contrary to Article 28(1) of the Constitution.
They also raised concerns about the involvement of Attorney General Kiryowa Kiwanuka, noting that he is a founding partner of K&K Advocates, the firm representing both the Mutesa and Mutebi estates. The family argues that his involvement constitutes a conflict of interest.
The Kasasa children maintain that the mediation seeks to overturn final court decisions, ignores their father’s wishes, and sidelines the legal adviser appointed under Dr Kasasa’s will, contrary to the Succession Act.
Meanwhile, administrators of the Mutesa II estate—Kabaka Mutebi, Prince David Kintu Wasajja, and Nnaalinnya Sarah Kagere—maintain that Dr Kasasa fraudulently acquired the Mutungo Hill land, a claim strongly denied by the Kasasa family, who insist the land was legally purchased from Barclays Bank after several lawful transfers.




































