Kibazo Associates Advocates, a law firm representing three foreign tourists, has petitioned President Yoweri Museveni, Chief of Defence Forces Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, and the Chinese and Malaysian embassies in Uganda over the alleged illegal detention of their clients by officers from the Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration Control (DCIC) under the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
In a petition dated May 22, 2026, lawyers led by Nasser Kibazo stated that their clients — Wu Jingzhen, holder of passport number EM61529335, Chao Lili, holder of passport number ED3869982, both Chinese nationals, and Peck Lok Hin, a Malaysian national holding passport number A71747089 — are being unlawfully detained by immigration officers.
“We are instructed to bring to your urgent attention the following matters. On April 3, 2026, our clients were arrested and detained on charges which, to date, have neither been disclosed nor ascertained. They were subsequently released on police bond and have at all times complied with the terms thereof, including regular reporting as required,” the petition reads in part.

The lawyers further stated that on May 20, 2026, their clients reported to immigration offices for what was expected to be a routine police bond appearance. However, they were allegedly informed that their police bond had been cancelled and were immediately re-arrested and detained without explanation.
According to the petition, the legal team has repeatedly asked the concerned officers to either process the suspects and present them before court if there is a case against them or release them, but their requests have allegedly been ignored while the suspects remain in detention.
“As of the date hereof, our clients have been in detention beyond the mandatory 48 hours prescribed by law without being presented before courts of law. This continued detention is unlawful, unconstitutional, and in blatant violation of their fundamental rights,” the lawyers wrote.
The lawyers placed several immigration officers, including Col. Geoffrey Kambere, the Acting Chief of DCIC, Simon Ayabutimi, Faith Apio, and an officer identified only as Baguma, on notice that they intend to institute both civil and criminal proceedings against them in their individual capacities under the Human Rights Enforcement Act.
“Take notice that should this matter not be addressed immediately, we have firm instructions to institute appropriate legal proceedings without further reference to your office. We trust that your office will treat this matter with the urgency and seriousness it deserves,” the petition further states.
The lawyers also demanded that the immigration authorities either immediately grant their clients police bond or produce them before a competent court of law.
Speaking to this publication, Kibazo said the three tourists were initially arrested from their apartments in Kololo and detained for several days before lawyers successfully secured their release on police bond.
He added that after the cancellation of the bond, immigration officers conducted a search at the suspects’ residence in the presence of both the accused persons and their lawyers, but nothing incriminating was recovered.
“That gave us hope that they would be released, but they remain in detention,” Kibazo said.
When contacted for a comment, Simon Peter Mundeyi, the spokesperson for the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Immigration, said he was out of office and would respond after consulting the concerned officers. However, his phone was unreachable by press time.





































